- Why choose Armstrong School District Cyber Academy?
- Full-time or hybrid scheduling options that are flexible and
on-demand, allowing you to design a learning plan that meets your
- The opportunity to join classmates by participating in on-campus activities
and school events
- Earn an ASD diploma including the opportunity to participate in graduation with your classmates
- Access to Educational, Recreational & Athletic Facilities
- Seamless and supported transition back to regular school if
desired at any time
- What grade levels are offered for the Armstrong School District Cyber Academy?
- ASD Cyber Academy offers kindergarten through grade 12.
- What curricula will be used to teach in the Armstrong School District Cyber Academy?
- Cyber academy courses will use the same curricula that is being used to teach courses in regular school. The academy was designed this way in order to support seamless transition for students that choose it between regular and cyber school.
- Can any student attend the Armstrong School District Cyber Academy?
- The ASD Cyber Academy is open only to Armstrong School District students. Students will be enrolled based on their selection of learning preference from recent survey forms sent to parents. If a student did not select the ASD Cyber Academy initially, they may elect to enroll in the ASD Cyber Academy at any time by calling the office of their homeschool building.
- Who teaches the courses in the Armstrong School District Cyber Academy?
- Nearly all Cyber Academy classes are taught by local Pennsylvania certified teachers in the Armstrong School District. Some courses for students with special needs are taught by certified, experienced teachers who are located outside the district, and specialize in working with higher need students.
- Will the Armstrong School District Cyber Academy offer all the courses requested by my student?
- UPDATE: ASD CYBER ACADEMY WILL BE OFFERING OVER 150 COURSES INCLUDING NEARLY ALL ELECTIVE COURSES.
- Secondary students will have a full schedule carrying a minimum of 7 credits as well as fulfilling requirements towards graduation. Elementary students will have their full complement of courses. ASD has over 100 teachers in grades K-12 in the cyber academy. Courses including all math, science, English, and social studies classes will be offered including learning support courses as needed. Nearly all elective courses including foreign languages will be offered. Students will have the opportunity to select an alternative elective in the event their selected elective is not offered.
- What will my schedule be like?
- At the elementary level, cyber school will be conducted in close similarity to the regular school day including live interaction lessons in math, reading, science, social studies, and English language arts. These lessons will be recorded and available for playback by the student. Live interaction lessons will be supported with digital instruction and tutoring available daily after school and evening hours. Lessons in other subjects (i.e. music, art, physical education, library) will be offered in a mix of digital instruction and live interaction lessons.
- UPDATE: NEARLY ALL COURSES WILL HAVE A LIVE INTERACTION COMPONENT IN ADDITION TO THOSE NOTED BELOW, AND NEARLY ALL COURSES WILL BE TAUGHT DURING THE REGULAR SCHOOL DAY.
- At the secondary level, live interaction lessons will be offered in math, science, English language arts, and reading courses. These lessons will be recorded and available for playback by the student. Live interaction lessons will be supported with digital instruction and tutoring available daily between the hours of 9:00 A.M. and 6:00 P.M. Lessons in other subjects will be offered in a mix of digital instruction and live interaction lessons (i.e. music, art, technology electives, physical education Live interaction lessons will be scheduled during the school day when possible.
- When will I know my cyber courses/schedule?
- UPDATE: SCHEDULES WILL BE AVAILABLE ON AUGUST 28TH. THIS PROCESS IS ONGOING AS ASD CYBER WILL BE OFFERING OVER 150 COURSES TO OUR CYBER STUDENTS WHICH WILL INCLUDE VIRTUALLY ALL ELECTIVES.
- Schedules are being created based on student selection of the Armstrong School District Cyber Academy as the student’s learning preference, and the course requests made by the student for the 20-21 school year. The cyber schedule is being completed at this time. Schedules may be available prior. Students who selected the cyber academy as their learning preference will be notified, so they may log on and review their assigned courses in the Skyward Student Information System.
- How much time will my student spend on a computer?
- This time may vary, but the amount of time spent doing school work daily in this format will range between 4 to 6 hrs for elementary aged students, and 5 to 7 hrs for secondary students. We have designed an approach to our cyber program in which students have a variety of lessons and assessments that are completed both on and offline. Computer time is influenced greatly by the needs of each student. For example, students that participate in online tutoring, or enrichment activities may have increased time using technology.
- How will attendance be taken?
- Students in grades 7 through 12 are required to actively be logged into the Canvas cyber platform daily to be credited with being in attendance for any school day.
- Students in grades 7 through 12 are strongly encouraged to participate in live interaction lessons as scheduled. However, playback of these lessons will be available with the Canvas system. Students who struggle in a course will be required to participate in the live interaction lessons if they have not done so.
- Students in grades K through 6 are required to attend live interaction lessons as scheduled daily though video playback of these lessons will be available.
- How does a student learn the processes involved in taking cyber courses?
- All students are required to participate in a short orientation course designed to help them learn to navigate within the Canvas environment, submit assignments, and communicate with their teacher. In person orientations will also be available as requested.
- My student has special needs, can the ASD Cyber Academy provide for my student with special needs?
- The ASD Cyber academy will offer student services as required under student individualized education plans. Teaching faculty have significant experience in working with students with special needs including gifted students who will be provided opportunities for acceleration and enrichment programming.
- As a parent, how will I know my child is experiencing success in the Armstrong School District Cyber Academy?
- UPDATE: ASD CYBER TEACHERS WILL CONTACT PARENTS OF STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT PERFORMING WELL ON A WEEKLY BASIS AND UPDATE ALL PARENTS ON STUDENT PERFORMANCE BI-WEEKLY IN ADDITION TO THE MEASURES ALREADY NOTED HERE.
- UPDATE: ASD CYBER TEACHERS WILL HAVE SCHEDULED, POSTED EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT TIME DEVOTED TO ASSISTING CYBER STUDENTS DURING THE REGULAR SCHOOL DAY AND AFTER 2:30 P.M.
- The ASD Cyber Academy uses the Canvas Learning Management system to provide online courses. Canvas is widely used and is directly connected to the Skyward Student Information System. Canvas records the amount of time a student is logged in, and grades are automatically transferred daily when entered into the Canvas system. Access to the parent portal in Skyward will provide parents insight into the performance of their student in a single location. Directions on how to access the parent portal can be found on the main district webpage (www.asd.k12.pa.us) under the menu, Parents/Students---parent portal.
- Students may be recommended for tutoring or other remediation based on weekly reviews of student performance. Parents will be contacted to discuss possible solutions when student performance slips.
- Parents may request an update on their child’s status at anytime from Cyber Coordinator, Ms. Rhonda Reed, email@example.com
- Am I required to purchase equipment for my student to participate in the ASD Cyber Academy?
- Each student will receive a laptop or chromebook as their curriculum requires. As needed, students will be provided with a printer, scanner, and ink cartridges as well as consumable supplies like paper.
- Is there reimbursement for my cost of Internet services?
- Monthly reimbursement of internet up to $40 (Bills need to be submitted monthly. Any bill received more than 60 days after the due date will not be processed.)
Remit Internet bills via email or US mail to:
181 Heritage Park Drive
Kittanning, PA 16201
If you have further questions, please contact:
- Dr. Josh Williams at 724-548-6053 for questions regarding cyber school in grades 7 through 12.
- Dr. Cheryl Soloski at 724-548-6028 for questions regarding cyber in grades K through 6.